Responder

French records for Joseph Vidaud and his wife Harriette Watkinson

knottb
knottb
Introducción: Texto
Navegación: Texto
Ver su árbol genealógico
I'm looking for French records/info about Joseph Vidaud (born abt. 1825, probably in Lyons, France). He married in England to Harriette Watkinson and was back in Lyons France by 1869. He and Harriette had a child in Lyons in 1869, Emma Harriette Ponsford Vidaud. I have Englkish records but very little from France where I believe both Joseph and Harriette died.
kallikrates
kallikrates
Introducción: Gráfico
Ver su árbol genealógico
Hi,

Emma Harriette Ponsford VIDAUD married in Lyon 4th arrondissement on June 11, 1895.

She was born on June 9, 1869 in Lyon 6th arrondissement. At her birth her grandfather Thomas WATKINSON was present, aged 51, living on Rue Terme 15.

At the time of her marriage, her parents lived on Cours d'Herbouville, 35, where we can find them on the censi:
  • 1901 : Thomas WATKINSON is living with them.
  • 1906 : Harriette is a widow and lives with her father.
  • 1911 : Harriette is living with a daughter Beatrice, born in Caluire in 1861
  • 1921 : There's only a Ida VIDAUD born on 1865 in Caluire.
  • 1926 : Adélaïde VIDAUD lives here.
  • 1936 : Béatrice VIDAUD lives here.
Joseph VIDAUD died on October 2, 1905 in Lyon 4. His death record tells us he was born around 1824 in Saint-Bonnet-de-Mure of Benoit VIDAUD et Anne GARNIER, precisely on August 1st, 1823, according to the 10-year indexes of the city. I can't find the actual record, though.

Harriette WATKINSON died on June 13, 1915 in Lyon 4. She was born in London on February 12, 1843 of Thomas WATKINSON and Henriette Elisabeth THOMPSON.

Thomas WATKINSON died on May 1st, 1908 in Lyon1. He was born in London on April 24, 1817 of Thomas WATKINSON and Mary PONSFORD.

Both Joseph VIDAUD and Harriette WATKINSON were buried in Villeurbanne, while Thomas WATKINSON was buried in Cusset. Do you want me to enquire whether the graves still exists, and if yes, go take a few pictures ?

Emma had a sister Adélaïde Anne Joséphine VIDAUD, married in Lyon 6 on 1882-04-25.

She was born in Caluire on April 29, 1864. Again, her grandfather was present, aged 47, living in Caluire on Route des soldats.

The second sister Alice Béatrice Cavendish VIDAUD was born on August 3, 1865 in Caluire.

Best,
K
Última edición por kallikrates el 09 Abril 2018, 12:06, editado 1 vez en total.
kallikrates
kallikrates
Ver su árbol genealógico
As a complement, Harriette Elisabeth THOMPSON died on January 10, 1884 in Lyon 6. She was born in Norwich on May 3, 1804 of John THOMPSON and Sarah MORGAN.

Best,
K
knottb
knottb
Ver su árbol genealógico
Amazing. Merci beaucoup!

I joined Geneanet hoping to add details to my family tree that I have been unable to source on Ancestry.com. Especially the French connection of the Watkinson's with the silk trade and also the earlier Huguenot immigration to England. Because of you I have not been disappointed. Your research and correspondence is greatly appreciated.

My great great Grandfather, Thomas Ponsford Watkinson (brother of Harriette Anne Vidaud) was also involved in the silk trade before he emigrated from England to Canada in 1889. Family correspondence refers to him as a "Silk Sampler" and "Traveller" for the Lyon's Silk Manufacturing Industry. The family letter goes on to say about Thomas that "It was a fast worldly life, especially the society people and their liquor, etc. brought his downfall." I imagine he got into trouble of some sort trying to keep up in French society.

Thomas Ponsford Watkinson is also reported to have served in the military about 1870 in Lyon, Rhône, France, when he was 22 years old. I can find no record of this. Perhaps you can do a search?

Do you live in the Lyons area so that makes it easy for you to photograph the graves if they exist? You have been so helpful I don't wish to cause you inconvenience.

Best,

Barry Knott
[email protected]
kallikrates
kallikrates
Ver su árbol genealógico
More information about the family :

Alice Béatrice Cavendish VIDAUD died in Lyon 1 on September 2, 1941. She never married. I can't find any information about her burial, which is strange.

Adélaïde Anne Joséphine VIDAUD and Percy WILLIAMS had several children: The family on the 1886 census (page one and page 2): Annie is here, but Kate is missing. I haven't found a death record for her.

Emma Harriette DOBLE died in Bromley in 1898 aged 28 and her husband Reginald A DOBLE died in Bromley in 1936 at the age of 66.
knottb escribió: 09 Abril 2018, 20:07 Thomas Ponsford Watkinson is also reported to have served in the military about 1870 in Lyon, Rhône, France, when he was 22 years old. I can find no record of this. Perhaps you can do a search?
I looked between 1867 and 1872 and found nothing in the official records.
knottb escribió: 09 Abril 2018, 20:07 Do you live in the Lyons area so that makes it easy for you to photograph the graves if they exist? You have been so helpful I don't wish to cause you inconvenience.
No inconvenience at all :) I live in Lyon and I like visiting cemeteries. My great-grandparents are buried in the Villeurbanne one, actually. I'll call them tomorrow and go on Saturday if the grave still exists.

Best,
K
knottb
knottb
Ver su árbol genealógico
The family on the 1886 census (page one and page 2): Annie is here, but Kate is missing. I haven't found a death record for her.
It turns out that Kate and Persee left France to live with their parents in London where they had another daughter Margaret (born in 1896). A Kate Williams is listed as working in the English Workhouses about 1882 but not sure if it is the same Kate. Her mother Adelaide Vidaud died in England in 1933. Adelaide's husband, Percy was also involved in the Silk trade.

Barry
knottb
knottb
Ver su árbol genealógico
Hello again,

I was wondering if you made it to the cemetary or perhaps their grave no longer exist?

best,

Barry
kallikrates
kallikrates
Ver su árbol genealógico
Hi,

Sorry for the lack of news! I called the cemetery department in Villeurbanne, and they were unable to find a record of the grave, so now I need to actually go to the cemetery to consult the paper registers. Unfortunately, two Saturdays ago it was raining, and last Saturday it was unexpectedly hot (30C+) and I wasn't feeling up to a trek under the sun. I'll try to see if I can call the cemetery guardian directly.

Best,
K
Responder

Volver a “France”