Responder

Meaning of some terms

If you need help with your family history research then post your question here.
Usuario no inscrito (jjharding)

Meaning of some terms

Mensaje por jjharding »

I don't understand the terms 'Witness' on family trees. What does the word imply?
zanzigirl
zanzigirl
Volunteer moderator
Hello,

Please log in before posting ;)

Witness: someone who can testify of an event, and/or who can attest of the genuineness of a record by adding his/her signature.

Best,
Claudine
Modératrice bénévole sans lien de subordination avec Geneanet / Volunteer moderator with no subordination to Geneanet.
bonniefischbach
bonniefischbach
Introducción: Gráfico
Navegación: Gráfico
Ver su árbol genealógico
While looking at original records I have found many relatives that we didn't know about before because they were witnesses and the document directly states how the witness is related to the main subject (from my personal experience I primarily see this on death records). It can also help to track someone through the records for example you don't know what happens to John Doe after such and such a date but you may see that he is a witness in documents (which also states what town the witness is living in) so you can be assured that they were in xyz town and alive during such and such a date. Very useful.
Responder

Volver a “Family History Searches”