Responder

My Early America Murphys

tomsantacruz
tomsantacruz
Introducción: Gráfico
Navegación: Gráfico
Ver su árbol genealógico
My 2nd great-grandfather, Henry Peter Murphy, is a dead-end for my family research.

His military record identifies his birth as 13 Nov 1810 in Buffalo, NY.  However the family story claim he lied about his age in order to join the Union Army during the Civil War with his under age son.  After his birth, the family story has the family moving to Fort Dearborn (now Chicago).  His uncles were seafarers, they brought him as a cabin boy on a voyage between Africa and the Americas.

The Murphys do not appear in records birth, dead, or marriages for the Great Lake region in the US or Canada before 1810.  The exception is a single, James Murphey, at the village of Buffalo in the 1810 US Census.

The family missed the Massacre of Ft. Dearborn and surrounding area by the Indians during the War of 1812.

Henry Murphy travelled the Mississippi River, marriage a woman with children lived in Mississippi and finally settled in Hillsborough County, Florida around 1850.

His ancestry remain a mystery.  These Murphys were in the Americas years before the Irish migrations due to the potato famine.
femuse
femuse
I won't give you too much facts, but maybe a few thoughts, as I find your "puzzle" interesting:

<<  His military record identifies his birth as 13 Nov 1810 in Buffalo, NY.  However the family story claim he lied about his age >>

His birth date in the census seems pretty consistent, 1850 to 1880, plus tombstone:  1810 to 1812, pretty much the right margin of error for Nov 1810

And of course - 1850/1870 born in Ireland, 1860/1880 in New York, tells us one thing:  he came from NY and his parents were born in Ireland.
-----------------
Do I assume right that this is your tree ? RICHARD AND AGNES TOWNSEND OF BUCKLEBURY (CIRCA 1566)
and that a lot of it is based on the St. Petersburg Times article ? [Jan 2, 1970]

Old men memories are not always very acurate, SO: maybe he was not born in or near Buffalo.

[I have found HUGE errors in family histories. People have the facts right about their parents, often fuzzy about their grand parents, and ... worse]
-----------------
Canada before 1810.  Did you look at this one ?

John Murphy
Acres: 1200
Quebec, Canada, Land Grants, 1763-1890
Letters Patent Date: 14 Aug 1802,  Book: A Grants; Page: 414; County Index Volume: 1; Page: 1099

That's all I found for now.
Le but de ce Forum est echange entre tous les membres.
Merci de ne ne pas me contacter par messagerie avec des demandes d'aide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Si ne répond pas a votre question du forum, cela n'est pas parceque je vous ignore,
c'est simplement que je n'ai pas reçu de notification.
:evil:
tomsantacruz
tomsantacruz
Introducción: Gráfico
Navegación: Gráfico
Ver su árbol genealógico
The family stories are from the St. Petersburg Times, 21 Sep 1987, Murphy ancestors live on in lively yarns By BETTY JEAN MILLER as told by John Freeman Murphy..

I will investigate the RICHARD AND AGNES TOWNSEND OF BUCKLEBURY (CIRCA 1566) story and that a lot of it is based on the St. Petersburg Times article ? [Jan 2, 1970].  It will be news to me..  Hopefully Google Newspapers has it.

Thank you for the interest and suggestion.
femuse
femuse
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19660721&id=Q3YxAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Q3QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7012,223577&hl=en
St. Petersburg Times - Jul 21, 1966

"Open House Has Historical Guest" (St. Petersburg Times, July 21, 1966)
-------------------
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=888&dat=19700102&id=NcpaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1nsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6980,946948&hl=en

"A Page of History Falls with Death of Pioneer" (St. Petersburg Times, January 2, 1970)

St. Petersburg Times - Jan 2, 1970
Le but de ce Forum est echange entre tous les membres.
Merci de ne ne pas me contacter par messagerie avec des demandes d'aide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Si ne répond pas a votre question du forum, cela n'est pas parceque je vous ignore,
c'est simplement que je n'ai pas reçu de notification.
:evil:
Responder

Volver a “United States”